7.20.2012

Banana Flax Muffins

I had some bananas that were going bad and I wanted to make some healthy muffins for my kiddos. Many of the recipes I came across that called themselves "healthy" were a joke. White flour, canola oil, granulated sugar, and bananas do not a healthy muffin make. I finally found one that provided a good base to work from. I modified a few of the ingredient amounts and came out with a dozen muffins packed with good stuff and only 167 calories a piece. 

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL RECIPE and below I will add my modified version. I reduced the amount of brown sugar and canola oil, increased the amount of applesauce, and added agave nectar. 

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/8 cup canola oil
1/8 cup agave nectar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ripe bananas, mashed

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 12 cup muffin tin with Pam baking spray. In large bowl combine all dry ingredients, including sugar. In smaller bowl, whisk all wet ingredients and bananas together. Make well in dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients in. Stir slowly and gently until flour mixture is just incorporated into the wet mixture. Scoop muffin batter into muffin tins 3/4 way full. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of a muffin. Cool 5-10 minutes before removing. 

I baked mine for 25 minutes, they came out perfectly and taste delicious!



Kid tested and approved


Next up I will be trying  a protein ball recipe that I found on Pinterest. I haven't baked in a long time, but today has me back in the kitchen. Today in Aurora, CO a gunman opening fire in a movie theater killing 12 people. Living in CO means that this news is everywhere and on everyone's minds. When I get stressed I bake. There is nothing like making tasty, healthy treats for my kids and good smells throughout my house to help calm a person and remind them of the good things in life. My heart goes out to the people affected by this tragedy and to the people of my state who have dealt with fires and death already this past month. Hopefully we will all come out stronger on the other side. 

No comments: