7.06.2013

A vegetarian gestational diabetic's breakfast

Mediterranean Omelet

Breakfast is probably the hardest meal of the day for me. People on a lower carb diet will tell you to carb load in the morning so your body has all day to process them. That is probably the worst advice for a diabetic. I belong to a great online support group full of women in my predicament and we all need to be so careful at breakfast. After a night of fasting/sleeping our bodies just aren't equipped to handle to carbs, complex or simple, in the morning. Fruit is typically a no go as well. For me personally, anything over 15 carbs for breakfast and I chance spiking my sugars. If you take a look at the bread currently on your counter, chances are likely that it has just about that many carbs per slice. So what is a diabetic that doesn't eat meat supposed to do? The answer is eggs, eggs, and more eggs.

Goat Cheese, Sausage, & Veggie Omelet with Avocado

Eggs deserve their own paragraph I think. Here is a funny story. When I was pregnant with Fletcher I completely lost my taste for eggs. I used to eat them all of the time and then one day the thought of them made me want to vomit. I continued to dislike eggs for almost 2 years. Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, over easy, quiches, and omelets all made me gag. The only way I could tolerate them was well hidden in baked goods. However, sometime early in my 2nd trimester of this current pregnancy, I started to crave eggs again. After an almost 2 year hiatus my body said, "Hey, these things aren't so bad". Boy I am ever lucky it did because I have to eat eggs every single morning until this baby is born. Of course, being pregnant I cannot have any runny parts of my egg so I need to eat them fried, boiled, scrambled, and well cooked. I am totally sick of eggs by the way. I did make those ricotta almond meal pancakes but they are high in fat and slightly time consuming to make therefore not ideal for those hurried weekday mornings.


I have become quite adept at making omelets though. This morning I had a Mediterranean themed omelet, some mornings I go festive with a south of the border flair, and sometimes I just steam some spinach with fresh garden veggies and toss them on top. During our vacation I got to eat hotel scrambled eggs AND hard boiled eggs in the same meal. Hotels across middle American serve the most carb and meat heavy breakfasts ever! Needless to say, after this baby is born I want to have a huge stack of buttery pancakes with syrup, fresh fruit, and maybe even whipped cream. I will still continue to eat healthier, but that is the one indulgence I am really looking forward to.

Anyway, here are some of the breakfast recipes that I am basing some of my breakfast meals from:

Asparagus - Cheese Omelet

Breakfast Skillet - This with veggie sausage and tofu instead of real meat and potatoes. It also brings the carb load to an acceptable limit.

Huevos Rancheros - No tortilla chips and watch the portion control on the black beans as the carbs can add up.

Mushroom Scrambled Eggs

Poblano Tofu Scramble

Provencal Omelet


1 comment:

marlene said...

Those photos look delicious! You've inspired me to try some of the recipes, but for lunch because I can't eat that much in the morning.