11.20.2008

I'm now a Mrs. R...

...and I've done the leg work to prove it!

For anyone who has ever legally changed their name, I feel your pain! Especially now with women getting married later in life. I was on my own for nearly 10 years before walking down the aisle, or through the garden in my case. That is 10 years of signing up for catalogs, establishing credit, working, taking out loans, and joining clubs. I have a feeling that I will be encountering my former last name in weird places for years to come.

I also find it interesting what some places require. In some cases I just needed to make a phone call. Others required a fax or mailed in copy of my marriage license. Other required that I make an appearance and possibly wait for up to 2 hours. What I find most ridiculous is getting your passport updated. If you got your passport over 1 year ago then you have to pay $75.00 to get it updated with your new name. Whereas most people who never change their name pay about $100 every 10 years, however, if you get married before then you are forking over another $75. As if the government doesn't already get most of you money anyway!

Now I am just waiting for the massive influx of documents and cards that have my new last name on them. At least I like getting mail!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

isn't it crazy changing your name?? I have yet to change my passport (shh...don't tell Brian! ha ha ha!) Do I have to go and just file for another one? I don't even know how to get that one started!

in other news....I got a coloring picture from a little girl at my church with "Mrs. Msal" on it - it's the first time I've been called that :) awww!!

marlene said...

there's something very nice about changing your name after marriage. it's a calming, exciting, and strengthening show of solidarity. it really represents your commitment to each other and reminds you that no matter what you have a partner, someone who is on your side to share, support...

oh you know. it's just awesome.

not that it's bad to not change your name, i'm just happy to have done so.