11.02.2008

1 week in!

I started my new job this past Tuesday. Unfortunately, the boy I am going to be working with was sick my first two days. However, this gave me an opportunity to familiarize myself with the classroom and the daily routine. I will admit I was a little nervous. No book can actually prepare you for working with autism. On Thursday I finally got to meet my new pal and he put a smile on my face from the first second! I stooped down and said hello and he smiled at me big and bright and said hello back.

In just one day I learned to not fear autism and I threw all I thought I knew out the window. Here is a kid who needs to learn things that every other kid needs to learn. He just learns them a little differently. There are so many things that he already understands and I can tell just by looking at his face what kind of mood he's in. I can certainly tell when I am annoying him, but, as the adult, I am supposed to make sure he understands and follows the schedule and rules. There were a few moments that I was not sure exactly what to do, but there is a strong support system at the school for both of us. Every day someone new would introduce themselves as a person that I can rely upon for help. It is a very supportive working environment.

I think I have found a job that is going to teach me a lot about myself. It will be challenging at times, but it will also be more rewarding than any other job I have ever had. I also get to spend my days in a kindergarten classroom. Is there any better working environment? I get to dress up for Halloween and play games and have recess and experience true joy in the little things that are so monumental in the mind of a 4 and 5 year olds. I am now way more excited than nervous to arrive at work everyday.

Bring on week 2!!

(Tourist Sara off to work on Halloween)

2 comments:

marlene said...

wow. you look like mom.

Sara said...

It is so funny you said that b/c I felt like mom! I got the shirt at Kmart and am actually thinking of mailing it to her!