8.03.2009

How to find a pediatrician??

Today I set up appointments to interview 2 different pediatricians. The first appt. is on August 10 and the second is on September 28. First off, I don't know if 3 weeks before my due date is too late to choose a pediatrician, but that is when the receptionist scheduled me after finding out I was due Oct. 21st. Oh well.

Now that I have these appointments though, I have no clue what to say/ask the Dr. when we see her. Am I a bad mother already for not knowing what I am looking for in my child's doctor? I have looked on-line for questions to ask and a lot of them you can find out by reading the Dr.'s website. How long have you been practicing? Do you have any sub-specialties? What are your hours? Is this a solo or group practice?

I know there are important questions too. What if my baby is sick and the office is closed? Do you offer same day appointments? When will your initial meeting with my child be? What are you views on breastfeeding, immunizations, etc...? I just feel kind of weird interviewing someone who is so knowledgeable in a field that I know nothing about.

I guess this is the just the first string of things that I am going to worry about. Next week I will have something new to stress about. Impending parenthood is scary.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you may want to find a DO - they are a "family" doctor who can see you and Dave as well - they perform pap's and all other female exams as well. I have alot of friends with kids - they all use a DO because s/he can see EVERYONE at the same time.

marlene said...

don't start playing the 'bad mom' game -- you will be (and already are, for that matter) a great mom. i would maybe write down your core beliefs on raising your child (vaccinations, medicines, education, diet, even your future family plans) and see if they are on the same page as you. but what do i know...

and i'm sure there is a website or book on the matter, anyways.

maureen said...

Sara, for whatever its worth, I am so proud of you! I love reading your blogs, they are so sweet LOL. I really cant wait to hear about your new little one when he or she arrives. I hope you will keep your blog going :) Also, I cant wait to hear about how cloth diapering works out. I am very interested to hear about it :) Miss you!