10.27.2008

Para Sara

Last week I submitted an application on the District 20 website. I was hoping to start my career working in a non-certified position in an elementary school. This was a path that I slowly realized over the last year while working for Science Matters. I love the whole elementary school environment. The people that work there are doing it because they care. The kids are still young enough to respect authority and besides K-5 is such a fun time for kids!

The very next day after I submitted my app, I got a phone call requesting an interview as a Special Ed Paraprofessional. I had already researched paraprofessionals and knew that most are in a special ed environment. I have never worked with kids who have special needs, but I do know that I up for the challenge and I care which is a good starting point. The interview took place the next day and there were 3 interviewers and 8 questions. I am good with people, but I did get a little nervous. I tried to answer the questions as honestly as I could while ignoring the fact that I could feel my face getting red. 12 minutes later, it was over.

The next day while out running errands I got a phone call offering me the job. I cannot believe that my new career path is starting so soon! I learned that I would be working one on one with an autistic kindergartner. I went to Borders and got a book called Embracing Autism and spent the weekend reading. What I learned is that I should learn to expect the unexpected, avoid teaching him learned helplessness and to throw all my expectations out the window. Basically, this is a job that you really cannot prepare for. I am excited but also scared that I will inadvertently mess up his educational plan. Here is a kid that we are trying to prepare to live a world that is our norm, not his. I have a feeling that I going to learn a lot about myself, society and autism this upcoming year.

Here I go....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara!

Congrats on the job and new direction. Looking forward to updates.

I used to do a lot of work in clinical autism research and would highly recommend you read one (or several) of Temple Grandin's books. Grandin is a "high functioning autistic" woman who has put out several works about her perspective and experiences -- maybe start with "Thinking in Pictures." They're fascinating reads.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=temple+grandin&x=0&y=0

All best -- C