2.01.2009

U of M vs. OSU

So today was one of those regrettable days that you end up dressing like your spouse. It isn't really my fault that the only hat I own is a Michigan hockey cap. It also isn't my fault that day 2 of not showering with short hair means hat day. Pre-wedding I would have just thrown it back into a ponytail and called it a day. Anyway, this is why both Dave and I were wearing our MI hats while running errands. Other than that, however, we were dressed Colorado casual. Me - jeans, Columbia thermal, fleece vest, black Merrels. Dave - jeans, long sleeved tee, Irish wool sweater, men's light hikers.

We head to JPenny so I can check out the pillow sale and swing into the Sephora that's connected. After looking at ALL the clearance sections I finally decide that we are done. Dave is thrilled b/c his can't get a signal in the store rendering is iPhone/boredom reliever useless. So we get up to the register and the cashier holds out his "where in MI do you live" hand. Seriously? I though I had escaped the prison of the hand locater. Anyway, he reminded me that I was wearing a dead giveaway on my head as to where I was from. This isn't the crucial part of the story though. Wait for it.....

I happen to glance to my left while in line and notice an even worse case of dressing like my spouse. In this scenario the husband was the worst offender, but that doesn't excuse the hideousness. Male - red crocs (a crime in and of itself), grey sweatpants with red lettering, red sweatshirt with white lettering, and a white baseball cap with red lettering. Female - jeans (her one saving grace), grey sweatshirt with red lettering, other ugly colored crocs. Oh, and all the red & white lettering said Ohio State and OSU. So here we are, the U of M couple vs. the Ohio State couple. As far as fashion goes, we totally won. They might have had more visible team spirit, but seriously? Red Crocs?

We walked out of the store and I felt a little less matchy matchy with Dave. As we head to Costco I forget the OSU people and start my metal shopping list. We pull in to the parking lot and who is getting out of their car but the same couple. We did not see them in the store, but my stories ending makes me feel good. On our way out of Costco there is always a worker who checks your receipt at the door. Ours was an elderly gentleman who commented on our hats. He said that the University of Michigan provides an excellent education. I am willing to bet a thousand dollars that he said no such thing to the OSU couple.

Go Blue!!

1 comment:

marlene said...

thanks for laugh! i love reading your blog.

and i'd say the crocs were the losing point, for sure.