1.10.2011

Bread Machine Tangerine Jam

I invented a recipe! I bought a bunch of sunburst tangerines at Whole Foods yesterday with the intention of making jam. After I got home I searched and searched on-line and through my cookbooks to no avail. I found one recipe for bread machine orange marmalade that was super labor intensive and took 2 days. No thank you! So I created my own recipe as follows.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups of tangerine segments (pre-chopped)
  • 1 tangerine rind slivered and boiled for 5 minutes
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/8 cup of lemon juice
  • 1-2 tsps of almond extract (to taste)
  • 1/2 package of pectin (traditional packet size is 1.75 oz.)
Instructions

  • Using a potato masher or pastry blender, roughly mash the tangerine segments. If you still have larger segments take some kitchen scissors and cut them up although larger chunks are okay.
  • Add all the above ingredients to the bread bowl of your bread machine in the order listed.
  • Place bowl in bread machine, close the lid and set the jam cycle.
  • When cycle is complete, transfer to jars and let cool for about 30 minutes to an hour before refrigerating. Jam will thicken overnight.
Makes about 2 cups

This jam is not overly sweet and quite delicious on toast with a little bit of fresh cinnamon. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Wow, this looks great. I've made
banana jam in the bread machine
, but I never thought of tangerine. Yum!