1.09.2011

Bread Machine

I finally got a bread machine yesterday! The one I really want is a Zojirushi BB-CEC20, but with a hefty price tag I decided to get one that was a little less expensive...for the time being. Another reason we chose to get a different one is that I have read that baking bread in bread machines at high altitude involve a lot of trial and error. When we move to a lower elevation I will get the bread machine of my dreams that I won't have to worry about adjusting yeast, sugar, water, or salt levels.

Anyway, we ended up getting a Cuisinart BMKR-200PC from Costco. After doing some research of the machine and how to use it at high altitude, I jumped in and made my first loaf. I started with a 1 lb. Sun Dried Tomato and Mozzarella loaf. I added an extra 1/8 tsp. of salt, an extra 1 tsp. of water after the first mixing and 2 tsps. of vital wheat gluten to the bread flour. The loaf smelled delicious and came out looking great. It did deflate a little after sitting on the counter for about 20 minutes though. I read that either be caused my too much yeast or too much flour. In this case I think it was the yeast b/c of the altitude. Fortunately, it tasted absolutely wonderful!




My next loaf is going to be an Oatmeal Bread. Before I make that, however, I am going to use the jam function and make some marmalade like jam. How cool is it that my bread maker will make jam for me? The one big pain about jam making is constantly having to stir and watch the temperature. Not anymore! I will let you know how my Sunburst Tangerine Jam turns out.

Until then I will continue with my adventures in bread and jam making. I also got a laminating machine, but that's a whole different craft altogether.

1 comment:

marlene said...

When Erik got his laminater he went nuts! He laminated his entire Jeep fix-it book and put it in a binder. You'll have a blast!