4.10.2009

My letter to Old Navy

I went into Old Navy today for my first foray into maternity clothes. I left disheartened because the stupid store didn't have ANY maternity clothes. You have to get them on-line. The following is the e-mail that me and my pregnancy hormones wrote once I got home.


To Whom it May Concern-

I have a complaint regarding your maternity wear and in-store availability.

I am pregnant with my first child. As with many people in the country, we are on a budget. I have always loved shopping at Old Navy because of your affordability and selection of current styles. Your sizing is never really consistent so I always make sure to try my items on at the store. No big deal.

I live in Colorado Springs, CO and have 2 Old Navy stores near me. The one I normally shop at is the store in Chapel Hills Mall. It is smaller and the selection is not as great as the one located at Powers & Barnes in Colorado Springs, but it is more convenient. There is a small maternity selection as the Chapel Hills store, but nothing impressive. The other store, as I said, has a larger selection and is a little bit nicer. I went to the Powers & Barnes store today to look at their Maternity section, but they do not have a maternity section. Granted it might be the hormones, but I almost started to cry I was so frustrated.

Before I was ever pregnant, I had heard about how affordable and great Old Navy was for maternity clothes and was excited to start shopping. Now I am frustrated with you for ostracizing your pregnant customers and forcing them to get all their maternity wear on your website. I will not buy clothes from Old Navy on-line. As I stated previously, your sizing is inconsistent and I do not want to start a game of "return these pants that didn't quite fit and hope I get a pair that does."

It is not like women are going to stop getting pregnant anytime soon so why do you not sell any, or a better selection, of them in your stores? You are sending a message to all your loyal pre-pregnancy customers that they are not important enough once pregnant to cater to their needs. If we want, however, we can go your website, pay for shipping and get clothes that may or may not fit.

I hope you can address this situation in the future so other budget conscious pregnant women can shop IN your store, try on maternity clothes and not feel like pregnancy is an affliction. Thank you for time in reading my e-mail.

--
Sara E. R
Colorado Springs, CO

4 comments:

marlene said...

do any old navy locations carry maternity in-store? sears carries maternity, but in not in the smaller stores. it's really hard to tell customers they have to go somewhere else.

but the issue may simply be space -- stores have a dollar per square foot number and the goal is to get it as high as possible. they obviously do not make as much profit on maternity than on other lines.

i'm really sorry.

Sara said...

The smaller store has some maternity, but the larger and nicer store sells none. That is what irked me. I drove out of my way to the larger store and they had none. Grr...

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time finding clothing - I've heard that is the worst part about being pregnant :(

I've heard good things about Destination maternity and motherhood stores - but both of them are pricy I think :(

I know you don't want to order online but here are some stores that my friends suggested:
http://www.bellydancematernity.com/
https://www.expectedmaternity.com/default.aspx
http://www.paigepremiumdenim.com/pl/c/44.html
http://www.duematernity.com/
http://picklesandicecream.com/index.html
http://www.shopmama.com/
http://boobdesign.com/

hugs!!

Gwen Ann Wilson said...

I'm sorry to hear your story. We can't really control this kind of problem sometimes. This is surely the worst part of being pregnant. I think it is still much better to see the lighter positive side of the situation to avoid frustration.
If you are looking for funky, sexy, versatile and affordable maternity wear, please visit us here at Maternity Clothes for the latest fashion on Maternity Clothes.