4.20.2009

My weekend getaway

The weather here in Colorado has been smoking the wacky tobacky (if I can't make a 4:20 reference on April 20th, when can I?). On Friday I got the 4:30 a.m. call that we have a snow day. I look out the window and there isn't a drop of snow on the ground. Seriously. Granted, I wasn't going to complain about a day off from work, but isn't this is a little preemptive? On Thursday we had some hail and thunderstorms and I knew snow was in the forecast so I just sat and waited. Around 7:30 it came and boy was it snowing. We got about 3 inches in an hour.

Friday also happened to be the day that I was leaving for a weekend of scrapbooking in the mountains. I got a call from the women I was going with asking if I wouldn't mind leaving early. That meant I actually had to start packing. Oh well. So around 11:30 Dave drove me over to Lindsey's house. The roads were already getting slick and the mountains were getting hit even harder. After debating for an hour and a half if we should go, Lindsey's mom made the executive decision, we packed up her Audi and left.

Can I tell you how awesome an Audi Quattro handles in the snow? I am a believer. We got up to Woodland Park with no problem even thought the roads were snow-packed and icy. The road to the camp we were staying at was about 2 miles long and, even though it had been plowed, was still at least 6" deep with snow. That little Audi passed a Honda Odyssey stuck and a Toyota 4-runner also stuck. The Subaru in front of us was slipping and sliding all over the place. The Audi drove like we were on dry pavement. What a car!

Anyway, once at the camp we unloaded the car, set up our scrapping area and got to work. There were 7 of us off the main room in our own private area and it was great! Lindsey and I shared an 8 foot table, which was nice b/c were the 2 youngest people there. My goal was to finish my wedding scrapbook by the end of the weekend, which I did! I also made some cards too.

It snowed all of Friday and Saturday and there must have been about 2.5 feet of snow when all was said and done. The camp was nestled in the forest and with all the snow it looked so majestic and beautiful! The lodge had 2 story floor to ceiling windows with a gorgeous view of Pike's Peak and Pike National Forest. We had to walk to the dining hall, which was slightly treacherous with all the snow, but totally worth it. The food was delicious! They also discovered I was vegetarian and pregnant and made special plates for me and let me take extra food back to the lodge to snack on.

I had a fabulous weekend filled with lots of scrapbooking and conversation. I am very glad that I went. Now I am back to the daily grind, but I certainly cannot complain, especially since the 10 day forecast is showing me 5 days in a row of 70 degree weather.

You gotta love Colorado!

(The only solo picture of me at the Lodge)

(Lindsey in our scrapping room)

(walking to the dining hall)

(The great snow melt on Sunday)

(The Lodge we stayed in)

(The dining hall)

(The group I scrapped with all week)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you had fun - snow and all :) The "cabin" is gorgeous!!

Brian said...

Scrapbooking in the mountains, how exciting!!! Just kidding, looks like you ladies had a great time

marlene said...

wow! what a time! i'm so glad you had the opportunity to go. now where are the pics of what you made?