4.10.2009

This might be TMI for some. Pregnancy related.

I had my fifth ultrasound this past Wednesday on my first day of week 12. Woohoo! I survived my first trimester. I have been reading various message boards and most women don't even get their first ultrasound until week 12. I was kind of curious as to why I was so special. I knew my OB was keeping a closer eye on me, but I only speculated as to why. On Wednesday, I got my answer.

I have a uterine blood clot. This is the reason I have been spotting since week 4. It is also the reason I went to the ER in week 9. So what does that mean for me and the baby? At this point, not very much. I think my OB didn't tell me earlier because he didn't want me to worry. It is preventing the placenta from attaching 100% to my uterine wall. The blood clot, however, is shrinking and the placenta is attaching as the clot shrinks. He showed Dave & I where the placenta is attached and where it isn't. We were super relieved because it is not nearly as bad as it sounds. Also, my OB reassured us that the baby is not affected by this. In fact in the ultrasound he/she was moving around and the heart rate was 167.

I am so happy that the 1st trimester is over, our baby is growing and that our family is healthy. These hormones, however... I cry at everything! I watched a Lifetime movie yesterday about a woman who had twin sons that were autistic. I was sobbing when Dave came home and he was terrified that something was really wrong. Granted, my entire view on Autism is based on the wonderful boy that I work with and the strong support system that he has. It makes me sad that so many people are ignorant to this disorder, but that is another blog on another day.

My morning sickness is waning, but I still have my moments. Dave has been a gem during this past month rolling with the punches like a pro. He takes my sense of urgency seriously when I tell him that I need a Oreo Sonic Blast now. A true test of a man is how he treats his woman during pregnancy. I know that when I have gained 40 pounds, have cankles and hemorrhoids and all those other lovely signs of pregnancy, Dave is still going to tell me that I look beautiful and mean it.

Alright. I have to go to Costco and pick up some yogurt and veggie sausage now. I hope this wasn't painful for you to read!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow girl you have had an exciting pregnancy so far! Praying that things quiet down and you have a "boring" healthy pregnancy!!

You've got to post some baby bump pictures soon :)

marlene said...

awww, that's so sweet. you're making tears well in my eyes.

but maybe it's just the hormones.